Artist June Carey purchased a home in Tuscany in 2006, and since then has been inspired to paint scenes from the local surroundings. Through her art, she brings the breathtaking views of the Italian landscape to us, letting us bask in the warmth of a Mediterranean summer day without ever having to use our passports!
Did you know?
- The Amalfi Coast is a stretch of coastline on the southern coast of the Sorrentine Peninsula in the Province of Salerno in Southern Italy. The area is a popular tourist destination both for the region and Italy as a whole, attracting thousands of tourists each year.
- The Amalfi Coast was featured in “Positano“, a short story written by American author John Steinbeck in 1953.
- It was also the setting in “Finding Positano, A Love Story” written by author William James in 2010.
- The Amalfi Coast also serves as a setting for fictional tracks in the Forza Motorsport 3and Gran Turismo 4.
- The city of Positano is featured prominently in scenes of the film Under the Tuscan Sun.
“When I took this path, I felt like Alice in Wonderland going down the rabbit hole. I would follow along this broken stone wall, where it winds down underneath the flying buttresses on the side of the church and down past gardens and vineyards towards the sea and village of Minori which is down there at sea level out of site in the cove. With the thousands of years of cultivating the land, you can’t tell where a terrace ends and a foundation begins.” ~June Carey
Amalfi Coast is now available at Picture This!
About the Artist:
June Carey has received numerous awards for her California landscapes and coastal scenes, including the Arts for the Parks Region II Award in 1997 and 1998. Like many Californians, June started out on the East Coast. As a teenager, she came to California. In the 1980s Carey found herself painting desert scenes and became known for this, and participating in a lot of Western art shows and competitions.